Ed's Chesprocott Region Blog: Are Building Permits Needed to Close

Are Building Permits Needed to Close

With new construction there is seldom an issue with building permits being satisfied upon completion of construction. The inspections are done, and if all is proper the Certificate of Occupancy, CO is issued.

It is not always that easy when home owners do remodeling and want to keep the town out of their homes. This is usually done to primarily keep the tax assessor from raising the property taxes the owners will have to pay.  The purpose of a building permit is not the increase in tax value of the home, but the assurance that the work is done properly to code and the house will not be at risk for damage or worse.

Are Building Permits Needed to Close

Permits should be obtained either by the home owner or the contractor doing the work.  Small jobs to repair items within the home are not usually a necessity, but when adding rooms to the structure, decks, new roofs and basement remodeling they are necessary.

With a remodeling project, the permits are initiated. The work would be started and before the walls are closed, the inspector would be called in to view the progress and either pass the work or point out the negatives that would need to be corrected before work can be completed. If all is good, the walls can be closed and the inspector would come back as a formality to issue the certificate of occupancy.

Failure to get this CO may not present problems while the owners are still within the home, but once the home is put up for sale it is an issue. Appraisers will visit a town hall prior to appraising a home just to see if all is in order there. With the field card in hand, a walk through the house will show inconsistencies and then the sale gets jeopardized. A mortgage cannto be closed while there are these problems within the house.

The building inspector can insist that the work be dismantled completely in worse cases. Normally, testing would be done and if repairs or changes are necessary the return of the inspector would get that needed CO.


Are Building Permits Needed to Close


Search for all Connecticut homes 






Do you know somebody who is behind on their mortgage and doesn't know what to do? I may be able to help them, especially if they are facing foreclosure!

Get Help with Short Sale in Connecticut






Whether looking to buy or sell, we service the Greater Waterbury towns of Beacon Falls, Bethany, Cheshire, Naugatuck, Middlebury, Southington, Thomaston, Waterbury, Watertown and Wolcott 

Ed Silva  RE/MAX Professionals,  www.edwardsilva.com  203-206-0754

Comment balloon 7 commentsEd Silva • June 07 2017 02:55AM


We pay a visit to the Building Inspector when we receive a new listing Ed Silva.

AND our Seller Statement has disclosures about building permits the seller has to answer

Posted by Doug Dawes, Your Personal Realtor® (Keller Williams Realty - Topsfield, MA) over 1 year ago

Our area does not require buildiong permits for many fix it jobs, but new homes they have several

Posted by William Feela, Realtor, Whispering Pines Realty 651-674-5999 No. (WHISPERING PINES REALTY) over 1 year ago

Yes, we often meet people who have not obtained the proper permits prior to doing work. The time to get that paperwork done (if it wasn't done prior to work) is before they want to sell the house.

Posted by Kat Palmiotti, The House Kat (Grand Lux Realty, Monroe NY, 914-419-0270, kat@thehousekat.com) over 1 year ago

Such a good topic and here in NH differs greatly from town to town to city. We require a CO for any new construction home looking to close Ed Silva. Many of the remodels though, dont have permits 

Posted by Scott Godzyk, One of Manchester NH's Leading Agents (Godzyk Real Estate Services) over 1 year ago

Very good information for folks planning to buy new construction.

Posted by Belinda Spillman, Colorado Living! (Aspen Lane Real Estate Colorful Colorado) over 1 year ago

Ed good question to address.  Lack of building permits creates headaches when it comes to obtaining a mortgage.

Posted by George Souto, Your Connecticut Mortgage Expert (George Souto NMLS #65149 FHA, CHFA, VA Mortgages) over 1 year ago

I do a lot of new construction especially for out of state investors and we do not close with a certificate of occupancy.

Posted by Joe Pryor, REALTOR® - Oklahoma Investment Properties (The Virtual Real Estate Team) over 1 year ago